Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:29:50 +0100
From:      Indigo <indigo@voda.cz>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   labels and layout

Hello everyone,
  heres a batch of question:

Im looking for a way to mount disks by label instead of device. Im on 6.2
and I can't use ZFS until it gets released.
I saw that tunefs and newfs have some label option - but I assumed it's
not the kind of label I want because no one is using it.

An example with AdvFS (Tru64):
# mount
root_domain#root on / type advfs (rw)
/proc on /proc type procfs (rw)
usr_domain#usr on /usr type advfs (rw)
var_domain#var on /var type advfs (rw)

I just think it's stupid to edit fstab every time Im swapping things
inside the box - I think it's needless.

Second thing I was wondering about is:
Did anyone ever try to break down the performance requirements of various
system directories?
Basically - which directories benefit from faster seeks or higher
read/write speeds.
I know this highly depends on actual services and that I should put the
machine together and watch its needs before finalizing disk-layout - but
it would take a lot of time and Im looking for any advice that can save me
time.

Thanks,
Vasek