Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 12:21:15 -0700
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports/Version Numbers

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> Why are we using version numbers as parts of our port-names?  This allow
> overwriting part of an existing port (e.g. samba 1.9.14) with a new version
> of the same port, and with no warnings.  Are there any benefits beyond the
> fact that the presently installed version number is obvious (which we
> probably could fix anyway)?

1) Not all ports report their version. It's good to know the current
version so you can pkg_delete the previous one.
2) The maintainer may want to port a beta and want's to make it
distinguishable from the release.

The problem you mention and the so called "fix" is not obvious and has
caused problems with Tkl/Tk and other ports before. AIX's pkg_add
replaces existing binaries but leaves a "*.orig" copy of the first
package, JIC you want to go back.

	--Pedro.