Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:41:26 -0500
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP Performance Graphs

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 12:59:53PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     The transmit side requires more thought.   I did write that patch, and
>     it does work, but it's too messy for my tastes.  I would personally
>     much rather rewrite it to (A) fix the RTT stored in the route tables
>     and (B) adjust the transmit window based on that, which is a much less
>     sophisticated patch (and less messy), but ought to work quite well
>     in regards to transmit buffer management.

I think I tried this patch, and found some problems with it.  As
I recall the problems were with extremely high bandwidth connections
(eg, I have two machines that can move 100Mbps FDX across country
(70ms latency), and when I tried the patch with that case performance
was "bad", in the sense that I got like 20Mbps, rather than 100,
like it should have allowed.

I believe I theorized at the time that the calculation code had a
term that ended up zero, or infinity or something with values that
large.

Sadly, at this moment I don't have test boxes on that path, but I
do now have test boxes behind an otherwise empty T1 that I can do
interesting things with (eg, WRED on or off, short queues, long
queues, artificial limits like CAR).  I have a little time to do
testing (emphasis on little), if one or two people would like to
do more I can make the resources available, contact me privately.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org