Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:27:03 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, j mckitrick wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 07:02:28PM +0200, Narvi wrote:
> | EDA - electronic design whatever. mostly boils down to designing chips and
> | pcbs and similar.
>
> <snip>
>
> | 3) Sun natively supports XWindows, while in the case of WinNT (very few
> | serious software supports Win95/98) you need to run an Xserver on top of
> | Windows native graphics API.
>
> That's funny.  The engineer in the office next to me develops XILINX on
> windows.

Some companies do have 'native windows' versions of their products. IN
some cases, these are the low end tools. Some times only a part of a suite
is available on windows. There is at least one vendor that uses TKL and
thus doesn't have that problem.

> | > And is there really that much of a demand for esoteric uses such as these?
> | >

> | Esoteric? There is nothing esoteric about that.
>
> I guess what i meant was it seems this would be a very small niche for
> software, where the price per unit would have to be high to make a profit.
> Much like the discussion here a week or so ago about GUIs and apps in the
> movies versus real life.  SOmeone said that some very technical software for
> niche markets is often simple text based because the development costs are
> prohibitively high.

That's beacuase there is no money in telescope opertaions etc. on the
moment - as opposed to the money moving in mapping oil reserves, chip
design, etc.

When NEO asteroid mining becomes profitable, there will be so many
astronomical asteroid related software with fancy GUIs, builtin AI support
yada yada yada it will easily eclipse that presently found in CAD.

Or in other words - how many $M a year can this company save/help make in
buying more eficent GUI equiped software at $50K per seat?