Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 20:06:11 -0500
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdougall@ameritech.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sb32 troubles

Randall Hopper wrote:

> Adam McDougall:
>  |Hello, I am hoping one (or more :)  or the sound geniouses could help me
>
> Whoops.  I don't qualify, but I'll try anyway. :-)
>
>  |with a problem I am having with my sb32 card in -current.  Almost all
>  |parts of it are detected, but not sbxvi0(sp), thus I get no digital
>
> Without sbxvi0, you should get 8-bit audio only I believe (sb0 takes care
> of it).  Try catting a .au file to /dev/audio.

I played around with stuff in Boot: -c and noticed that sbxvi0 was trying to be
found on 0xFFFFF.... so I changed that to 0x0 and it seems to be in dmesg as
seems proper... but still amp and rplay are silent.

> sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
> snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
> sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 5 on isa
> snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
> sbmidi0 at 0x300 on isa
> snd0: <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
> opl0 at 0x388 on isa
> snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>
>

>  |audio.  And I am unsure if the midi component is working since playmidi
>  |doesnt want to compile for me.  I am pretty sure it is not the card's
>
> Once you get past the PnP issues, pull the AWE driver, and the "awesfx" and
> "awemidi" ports from http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv.  MIDIs will be
> _loads_ better than anything SB FM or OPL can get you.  Let me know if you
> need any help.

well I cant seem to get the awe patches to allow me to compile the kernel, so I
will just wait until they are comitted to get awe working.   And compiling
playmidi still gives me tons of errors as below:~snip~
/usr/include/machine/soundcard.h:677: warning: data definition has no type or
storage class
/usr/include/machine/soundcard.h:689: parse error before `u_char'
/usr/include/machine/soundcard.h:689: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or
union
/usr/include/machine/soundcard.h:690: warning: data definition has no type or
storage class
readmidi.c: In function `readmidi':
readmidi.c:98: storage size of `instr' isn't known
/usr/include/machine/soundcard.h: At top level:
/usr/include/machine/soundcard.h:306: storage size of `patch' isn't known
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I'm going to rm -rf /usr/src and cvsup again fresh, and see if any errors go
away, I have a feeling my source tree may be a little mucked up.

Could someone give me a package of playmidi from ports, all u need to do is cd
/usr/ports/audio/playmidi ; make package.

>  |fault since it works fine in other machines under NT and 2.2.5-release,
>  |and I have tried other same model cards in my -current machine, but
>  |still no luck. heres the lines from my kernel conf file:
>  |controller      snd0
>  |device          sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
>  |options         SBC_IRQ=5
>  |device          sbxvi0 at isa? drq 5
>  |device          sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x300
>  |device          opl0 at isa? port 0x388 conflicts
>  |controller      pnp0
>  |(adding the pnp0 didnt help but made the kernel realize a pnp card was
>  |present)
>
> See http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv/awepnp-freebsd.txt for Conrad's tips
> on getting PnP set up for AWE32/64 & SB32 cards.
>
> The "0x300" should be "0x330" above.  Also, I'd suggest commenting out the
> SBC_IRQ line.  I'm a little puzzled at the conflicts on the OPL line as
> well.

Well even specifying 0x330 with the pnp command in userconfig, it still only
detects on 0x300.