Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:44:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARE THEY ABLE TO CRACK UNIX PASSWORDS???

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Randy A. Katz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Are they able to crack Unix passwords? How to prevent this? Please tell me
> quickly, I've got some hacker terrorizing me.

You cannot decrypt a unix password - however you can guess them, and there
are utilities that look at the salt part of the password field of the
password file, then encrypt a dictionary - and or common permutations of
userid and gecos field info.

If you use the master.passwd scheme and do not use NIS then they cant do
much of anything unless they gain root access or via some trick get a copy
of master.passwd - even then they gotta run guess software per above.