Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:02:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeff Wyman <wysoft@wysoft.tzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compaq Prolinea 4000R

I have four older Prolinea machines that I'd like to run FreeBSD on as
both mail and SQL servers. These are rather old machines that were
acquired from Microsoft's surplus, and are still functioning quite well
under Windows 2000 Advanced Server. They have 128MB memory, EISA bus,
onboard NCR 8c510 SCSI-2 (I think that's the chipset), and four Pentium 66
CPUs.

I've been almost totally unable to install Linux on these machines, as it
has trouble using the installed ThunderLAN card (which IS supported by
RedHat at least) and had problems recognizing the CD-ROM. I tried
4.2-RELEASE on these machines, but the setup crashed after the hardware
selection screen.

Is this a problem with the SMP implementation on these machines? I beleive
that each individual P66 board has a separate APIC onboard (another large
Socket4-sized processor on the board, but definetely not a CPU), as
opposed to maybe a single on-board APIC. I'm not very knowledgable with
SMP, as this is my first multi-CPU system I've used.

I'm about to fall back to previous versions of FreeBSD, including 3.5, but
I have very limited time to spend on these machines. Either I get some
sort of free Unix loaded on these machines running all four processors
soon, or I'll have to install Win2k, which is definetely not what I'd
prefer.

If anybody has used these systems and has any hints, please let me know by
cc to my email. I have many mail subscriptions and really can't handle
another freebsd-* list :(

Thanks,
Jeff