Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 11:10:23 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Andrey Tchoritch <andy@moldsat.md>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@california.sandia.gov>, "Nick A. Fikouras" <nick@dcs.shef.ac.uk>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Timestamps and nonces in IP packets

--==_Exmh_-371930521P

If memory serves me right, Andrey Tchoritch wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > If memory serves me right, "Nick A. Fikouras" wrote:
> >
> > > I've noticed while monitoring TCP communications between FBSD machines
> > > that every IP packet contains timestamps and nonces that take up an
> > > extra 40 octets in the packets. Does anybody know how I can turn off
> > > this setting?
> >
> > Haven't seen anyone write an answer to this yet, so:
> >
> > Edit /etc/rc.conf, and set:
> >
> > tcp_extensions="NO"
> >

> What is this extensions for?

The timestamp option in the TCP header allows to sender of a TCP segment to
compute the round-trip time (RTT) for every segment sent and acknowledged.  It
places a timestamp in every outgoing segment it sends...the receiver (assuming
it support this option) copies this timestamp back to an appropriate field in
the ACK it sends back for that segment.

Without the use of the timestamp extension, the sending TCP can only estimate
the RTT once per round trip.

IIRC, the other option controlled by tcp_extensions is window scaling.  This
allows larger TCP congestion windows than the 64K allows by the original
specification, by multiplying the window sizes by an agreed-upon power of 2.
Useful mostly for high-delay, high-bandwidth paths, such as satellite links.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-371930521P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNlhhn6jOOi0j7CY9AQHlCAP+KcTxDsS3NbI18tsYXF7IyEin4WSnOZDR
ZTaCgGhF0MHu9bJ8XYJ8HSASJif8HYlkfQWsmhl/SF14UKY+X+73J52kNiHBITCe
XEjUHnyl0lCbRImFMV3SNDJuwyS6ZTmCSY8J3nr81YkVAf67j6qznnKEWQh6mXmR
ceYYdQCf1Rs=
=//r8
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-371930521P--