Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:30:22 +0000
From:      Peter Gradwell <peter@gradwell.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        sys-ops@gradwell.net
Subject:   SMP on Intel SCB2

Hi,

I've got a number of the new SCB2 motherboards from intel and I want
to run them with dual PIII CPUs. It all seems to be working fine, except
that some times on boot the machines hang*. The last output from the
console is:

APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
APIC_IO: Broken MP table detected: 8254 is not connected to IOAPIC #0 intpin 2
APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 and IOAPIC #0 intpin 0

This seems to only happen if I do "shutdown -r now", i.e. a warm reboot. It
boots fine if I power the machine off, count to 10 and power it on.

I've collected a number of files here:
http://www.gradwell.com/peter/freebsd-smp/
GREEN20012002	- kernel compile config file
dmesg.boot		- /var/run/dmesg.boot
mptable		- output from running "mptable"

I understand this error isn't serious, but it not completing the
boot sequence is rather annoying, especially as these servers
have lots of work to do!

Does anyone have a clue how I can fix it?

many thanks
peter

* By "hang" I mean it just waits for ages, until I get bored (couple of mins)
and switch it off.

engineering & hosting services for email, usenet, sms and web.