Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:44:45 -0400
From:      "Ian D. Leroux" <ian_leroux@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Central SSL Certificate Store?

I've been trying to set up isync or mailsync, and have run into the
following issue:

When setting up a secure connection, both of them (in my limited
understanding) want to verify the certificate received from the imap
server against a trusted certificate. Mailsync seems to look for such a
trusted certificate in a hardcoded location, whereas isync needs me to
specify the CertificateFile parameter in its configuration. I can't seem
to find where these certificates are supposed to be stored. I've found a
number of helpful documents on _generating_ certificates (for use by
people setting up servers), but I'm interested strictly in the client
end for now. Also, old documentation suggests that installing the
openssl port sets up such a directory, but now that OpenSSH is in the
base system I assume that is not necessary.

So is there a standard location for trusted certificates? or does each
application keep its own information?

Thanks,

Ian

Who is learning a fair bit about ssl in the process, which is a
good thing
--
  Ian D. Leroux
  ian_leroux@fastmail.fm