Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:17:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      andrea@webcom.it
To:        freebsd-ports@webcom.it
Subject:   Using specific JDK from ports

Hi!

I recently submitted a PR for a new port (Enhydra 3.1 beta application server),
and am about to do some more work in this area. Enhydra requires (well, almost)
a JDK v. 1.2; lot of other stuff also requires specific JDK's. At this moment
we have different JDK versions in the ports (and I gather IBM 1.3 support is
upcoming), with options wrt to JIT, compilers, etc. all installing in
different places.
This would make it very hard to require a particular version in a port. I had a
look at javawmwrapper, but it doesn't look very useful, that is, feature
complete.

What I'd like to see is some kind of software, like apxs for Apache or
glib12-config, which could be called upon in a port's Makefile to determine
(at least):

 - whether there is at least one JDK of required version installed
 - the path to the compiler
 - the path to jre
 - maybe even options to pass

Note that probably most of this stuff could be solved by appropriate symlinks
(for my setup, /usr/local/jdk1.2 -> /usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2 would suffice),
but I would be uncomfortable with updating such symlinks at port installation.
Instead, each port which installs a new compiler / jre could just update some
sort of repository (a file in /etc/jdk, for instance) to let the wrapper know
it is there. It would still be the user responsibility to determine which one
to use in case there are multiple equivalent.

Please comment. If people are interested, I would probably get down and define
requirements to send for comments again, and then I should also have time to
actually implement this.

Bye,
	Andrea

--