Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 16:33:12 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Realtek 8029 goes slow. 200k/second.

Recently I posted this problem. I have a solution which I am posting for
future reference.

> I have a couple of PCI network cards with the Realtek 8029 chip.
> (a no-name and a Genuis)
>
> Both these cards give 1000k / sec on all of my FreeBSD machines except
> my new one.
>
> My new PII400 (BX chipset) gives just 200k / second on our lab network.
> Perfect test conditions - no other network traffic.

The test I was performing was to FTP a gzipped file from our server to
my new PC.
The Realtek 8029 is a PCI card and I am using an IDE hard drive (just
the BX chipset's controller)

In my kernerl config settings I changed the IDE controller to enable
32bit transfers
with maximum sector transfers

So, I changed
  controller  wdc0  at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr

to this
  controller  wdc0  at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff
vector wdintr

And now I can FTP files from our server at 1000k/second.
I connected an ethernet load monitor (on a 3com hub) and noticed the PC
was downloading a burst of data and then
waiting before downloading the next burst. The PC was downloading data
and then spending a long time writing to the disk and then
fetching more data.

Bye
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde University Telepresence Research Group