Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:10:24 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de, thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: broken floppy driver

>I have the same problem (dma channel 2 busy) and the occasional panic
>(2.2-961014-SNAP). No more details currently, the machine is at home
>and I wanted to try to get more information first.
>
>BTW, I'm sure the floppies I feed my drive are good; written here at
>work on a 2.1.0-machine and I can read them back without problems.

The message "isa_dmastart: channel 2 busy" is normal after floppy i/o
errors.  It is caused by the fd driver's poor error handling.  This
shouldn't cause a panic.  However, syscons' and probably pcvt's output
routines are not reentrant, so its quite possible for interrupting
normal console i/o to print a panic message to cause a panic :-(.

Bruce