Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 07:58:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interested in how MD5 passwords work

Matt Behrens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in researching exactly how the MD5 password encryption
> method works.  Could someone point out to me just where in the source this
> is performed?  Or (better yet) give a description? :)

        (current) ~ > man md5
        MD5(1)                                                     MD5(1)

        NAME
               md5  -  calculate  a message-digest fingerprint (checksum)
               for a file

                [ yadda yadda yadda ]

        SEE ALSO
               cksum(1)

               RFC 1321 describes in detail the MD2, MD4,  and  MD5  mes-
               sage-digest algorithms.

RFC 1321 can be found here, among other places:

        http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1321.txt

-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
You auto buy now.