Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:34:35 GMT
From:      freebsd-questions account <question@namodn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   curiouser and curiouser...

hmm, i've posted here from different accounts, have solved some probs related to mgetty/ppp (mostly mgetty)..
win95 machines can successfully connect using pap authentication, however I seem
unable to set their ip/dns using the dns and nbns commands in the ppp.conf.. but
when these values are specified manually (which isn't so hard ;) ) it works fine, so that's ok.. if anyone has tips on how to set win95 machines successfully, much gratitude..

Hmm, now my friend and i bought some Maxtech 28.8 modems for real cheap from
and isp that upgraded to 56k recently, so it is a possibility that my next
(more pressing) problem is because of a faulty modem..
lemme clarify.. I'm running a freebsd 2.2.6 on a server with 2 modems, which is
connected to the outside world on a t1 .. i run freebsd 2.2.6 at home, my friend runs win nt/95; he has no problems with his modem on the server.
Mine, however, will not detect when the connection has been abnormally terminated, for example, if I turn my modem off. If i "close" using user mode ppp, it's fine.
I have noticed some anamolies in the mgetty.cuaa0 (my logfile)
12/01 21:03:17 aa0  Trust Communicator 28 K8 detected

(the modem i use here and on the server is a Maxtech 28.8)

12/01 21:07:22 aa0  WARNING: starting login while DCD is low!

(this line is also disconcerting)

any suggestions?

-rob
( question@namodn.com )