Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 06:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/15734: make -i ignores fetch failure, results in "infinite"cd/fork that eventually errors

The following reply was made to PR ports/15734; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To: Jay Krell <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/15734: make -i ignores fetch failure, results in
 "infinite"cd/fork that eventually errors
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:15:11 -0500 (EST)

 On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Jay Krell wrote:

 > Changing is make is not likely right, I agree.
 > The port should probably not try to extract if the distfile doesn't exist,
 > not try to build if there isn't a work directory, or if it's easy, -i in a
 > non leaf ports directory shouldn't progagate to the leaves. I do make -i
 > from /usr/ports, I expect to proceed past failed builds, but not within
 > failed builds.
 >
 > The port should be fixed as well.

 Ok, I'm somewhat confused as to what the problem is.  The port fetches
 fine here:

 jedgar@earth:/usr/ports/mail/balsa$ make fetch
 >> balsa-0.6.0.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
 >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.balsa.net/pub/balsa/.
 Receiving balsa-0.6.0.tar.gz (837147 bytes): 100%
 837147 bytes transferred in 165.9 seconds  (4.93 Kbytes/s)
 jedgar@earth:/usr/ports/mail/balsa$

 According to the PR: 1) you were not able to fetch the DISTFILES from
 ftp.balsa.net; are you behind a firewall or something that is having
 problems with ftp?  2) DISTFILES not found at
 ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles; the DISTFILES are
 usually moved over a few days after the port is updated and tests
 properly.

 Unfortunately, neither Balsa's website, the Gnome website, nor any of the
 files in the DISTFILES list a mirror site.  If you can come up with a
 mirror site that works, I'm sure we can add it to the port's Makefile,
 otherwise, I'm not sure what else can be done.

 -----
 Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org