Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:13:37 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open source (was RE: Hi!Dear FreeBSD!)

Paul Robinson wrote:
> > Teenagers are brillinat examples of group conformance: "I want to
> > be different, just like everyone else!".  8-).  What group you join
> > is dictated primarily by who tolerates your presence best.
>
> What group you join is dictated by who *you* tolerate the presence of best.
> What group you *remain in* is dictated secondarily by who tolerates your
> presence best, but primarily who you think you can tolerate the best on a
> long term basis.
>
> Sometimes people end up warping your values to fit in to remain in the group
> (nobody who starts to hang around with crack heads think they will become
> one themselves, unfortunately living in Manchester, UK, I can attest they
> are nearly always wrong), but ultimately you will stay in those groups who
> you prefer to hang around with. Put it this way, how many people do you know
> who were thrown out of the Boy Scouts for being too old but who wanted to
> stay in the Boy Scouts? How many left because they didn't want to do that
> stuff any more? Same thing.

I was personally thrown out of Boy Scouts for being Catholic instead
of Mormon; does that count?

Primates are social animals; the majority of them will tolerate nearly
anything to be accepted as part of a group.

> If you want to bring this back into a BSD-related thread, Theo didn't start
> OpenBSD because he had no choice: he couldn't tolerate NetBSD core anymore,
> and they couldn't tolerate him. Now, if you want to be a commiter to OpenBSD
> you have to understand the fact that Theo is in charge. If you can tolerate
> that, you'll be fine. If you can't, chances are you'll head over to Net- or
> Free- instead. If Free- throw you out, you know you can still hang around.
> It's not about what the group tolerates. It's what you tolerate.

Tolerance of people by the group is the most important factor here.
One of the most common anti-BSD claims is "BSD is elitest" -- it
being a complaint about group tolerance of individuals, rather than
individual tolerance of the group.

OpenBSD is a really poor example.  I can explain the NetBSD/OpenBSD
split very easily in terms of overdriving a reward margin; it's a
deceptively simple set of mathematics.  It was very much an individual
decision by Theo, with almost all the trigger actions being in his
hands, at the time.

I think in terms of "group splits", you really have to think in a
different context: it is not about group acceptance or tolerance,
it's about control, direction, margin, and rate.  If you measure it
in these factors, it makes it a lot easier to understand, and it
accounts for more than just a simplistic model of "NetBSD/OpenBSD",
it also accounts for "386BSD/NetBSD" and "386BSD/FreeBSD" (this
last is mre properly "FreeBSD/386BSD").  It's all about the volatility
introduced by strange attractors.

For example, the recent denouements in the FreeBSD camp can be
traced back to driving forces in the mailing lists -- intentional
marginal pressure to incite stress forces, by people with interests
counter to those of the project.  I wouldn't claim that they were
commercially motivated without verifiable evidence, but let's say
"I am suspicious" at this point, and leave it there for now.

The problem with a broader understanding of a class of systems is
a broader understanding of what it takes to preturb them from any
given equalibrium state.  The act itself can be either benevolent
or malevolent, depending on the perpetrator.

-- Terry