Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:04:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux/alpha emulation available

I have been working on getting the linulator going on FreeBSD/alpha.
What I have right now is in an alpha-test state.  I'm looking for
feedback on how it works and pointers to important apps to try.

The diffs and new files are against -stable as of 4am Sunday, EDT:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/linux-alpha.diff.gz
	http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/linux-alpha.tar.gz

To install:

cd usr/src
gzcat linux-alpha.diff.gz | patch
tar zxvf linux-alpha.tar.gz

Then install the linux_base port.  You'll need to make it with
NO_CHECKSUM=yes as some of the checksums are out of date.

I've run 3 commercial apps:

- RealPlayer for Linux/alpha
(http://www.alphanews.net/?op=displaystory&sid=2000/6/30/161735/203
for directions on how to find it in the twisty maze of links that make
up real.com)

This mostly works.  The biggest problem is that volume setting doesn't
work and you need to use /usr/sbin/mixer rather than the volume slider

- Compaq C
(http://www.unix.digital.com/linux/compaq_c/index.html)
Before attempting to install, you need to install the linux_devtools
port. The install is a mess under emulation.  You need to brandelf
/compat/linux/usr/lib/compaq/ccc-6.2.9.002-2/alpha-linux/bin/lnxcc*
A lot of absolute symlinks are created in that directory, you need to
change them from pointing to /foo to point to /compat/linux/foo

The compiler itself appears to at least compile hello-world.c running
under emulation.

If you're interested in producing anything resembling fast code, try
to get this working.  The Tru64 version of this compiler beats gcc
hands-down & I imagine the linux version also kicks some serious butt.

I'd like to use it to compile some critical-path kernel code (ip
checksums, etc) but it doesn't like the gnu asm format.  Maybe there's
a perl script or something..

- Applixware for Linux 4.42

This seems to work.  I downloaded it a few months back when I was
playing with this last.  I got it from
http://www.support.compaq.com/alpha-tools/software/index.html but the
links on that page seem to be dead now.

I don't know much about what its supposed to do, but I do see that it
pops up windows and takes keystrokes..

Have fun,

Drew