Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 01:35:46 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        "Joseph M. Scott" <jmscott@ainet.com>
Cc:        Leif Neland <root@swimsuit.internet.dk>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dummy-pop3 server

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Joseph M. Scott wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Leif Neland wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a dummy pop3-server, which can authorize anybody, and just
> > send a single message: 'Hey dummy, we have moved the pop3-server; don't
> > use this ip-adress, use the name: "mail.our.domain" instead.'
>
> 	You could also forward all pop3 traffic to the new machine.  It's
> probably unlikely that the people checking their email will ever get the "
> the pop server is now at : whatever_ip", though this may depend largely on
> the mail client.

You could put the message into an undeletable mail message.  I tried
mucking around with permissions and symbolic links in /var/mail but my pop
server (cucipop) won't open the mailbox unless it's writable.  It wouldn't
be all that big a job to hack a clearly written pop server into always
using the same mailbox regardless of what username and password were
presented, and ignoring 'dele' commands.

I'd have to say that I'd be more likely to use perl than shell code for
this.  Or to hack someone else's C code.

Andrew McNaughton