Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 18:30:28 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fortune candidate from #FreeBSD on EFNet

Terry Lambert said on Nov  8, 2000 at 17:11:32:
> > > It doesn't really translate or travel very well, since the
> > > "his wonders to perform" was truncated, and assumes that the
> > > reader is either well read, Christian, or a Charleton Heston
> > > fan.

-snip-

> The basis of the joke required people to complete an _English_
> phrase in their mind to make the association.  I maintain that
> the joke is anglocentric.

You may be right -- I know I mentally completed the phrase when
reading it, though I'm only familiar with it through Bertie Wooster.
But it seems to me that even the incompletely understood joke
"God works in mysterious ways, but FreeBSD has man pages"
(or whatever the exact words were) is funny.  People may not
know the quotation in the first half, but it's pretty obvious that
it's a quotation, and the sentence makes sense by itself
even without the "wonders to perform" part.

R.