Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 23:03:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dima@best.net (Dima Ruban)
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        dima@best.net, jayrich@room101.sysc.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd securelevel patch question

Darren Reed writes:
> In some mail from Dima Ruban, sie said:
> >
> > Jay Richmond writes:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Just wondering if we should expect an official patch for the securelevel
> > > problem that's affecting all the BSD's, or if the one provided in the
> > > recent exploit is being recommended?
> >
> > According to Thomas Ptacek, this is not exactly a bug, and after thinking some
> > more about it, I kinda agree with him. (Feature, not a bug)
>
> Given it is exploitable, whether or not it is a feature, is irrelevant.
> It permits the protection intended by securelevel over /dev/kmem to be
> bypassed, reducing the overall security of the system.

Hmm, this is not exactly bypassing a protection, you know.
Mainly because this protection is simply not targeted for this.

     1     Secure mode - the system immutable and system append-only flags may
           not be turned off; disks for mounted filesystems, /dev/mem, and
           /dev/kmem may not be opened for writing.

(this is from man init)

I don't see exactly how it violates anything.

> Darren

-- dima