Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 15:19:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, sales@omt.com
Subject:   Re: Regard to phone call about FreeBSD drivers

> Okay,
>
> Well, OmniMedia is very happy to provide us with all the tech info
> that we will need to write a driver for their mpeg encoder / decoder /
> full duplex audio PCI card (phew thats a mouthful) but wait there is
> more the cards video / audio components are fully programmable.
>
> The break down is this :
>
> 1.  Bt848 PCI + tuner / *true* full-duplex soundcard provide a very
>     low cost solution for audio / video conferencing.
>     Assuming that the Bt848 card costs $100 , a decent full duplex
>     sound card around $120 . Thats about $220 to $250.

make it $20-$40 for a soundcard. The OPTI931 has a street price of $20
here in italy, and CS4236 (assuming you can find them) are little more
expensive. For conferencing purposes they are both more than ok
(Crystal much better since it is better documented and less buggy...)

> 2.  OmniMedia's  PCI  board:
>
>     video capture for software encoding / decoding using dec's
>     21230 video codec chipset.
>     video engine on the board is programmable and so far there is
>     microcode for h.261 and mpeg . In the near future , h.263 will
>     available.
>
>     full duplex audio plus echo cancellation  via Analog's ADSP 2181
>     supported codecs:

great. This is an interesting piece of hw.

	Cheers
	Luigi