Date:      15 Mar 2003 11:57:34 -0000
From:      tmseck-lists@netcologne.de (Thomas Seck)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: XFree86 4.3.0 update

[Replying to myself for the benefit of the archives here]

* Thomas Seck (tmseck-lists@netcologne.de):

> latest patchset via portupgrade(1). Setting the font directory correctly
> got rid of xclock's crashes but I still cannot configure the font for
> 'xclock -d' . I'll try whether this problem persists after a clean
> install of the now committed 4.3.0 port.

The reason for that particular problem is that either fc-cache or
fontconfig(3) is a memory pig and does not cope with malloc(3) errors
well. ktrace fc-cache(1) with resource limits set and see what I mean. I
observed fc-cache(1) maxed out at about 180M while processing a default
XFree86-4 font installation...

     --Thomas