Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 16:44:55 -0700
From:      Mike_Brett@3com.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.4-RELEASE not recognizing 3C589D upon install

Hey everybody, I tried to find the answer to my dilemma elsewhere, in particular
the archives of this list, but to no avail.  I would greatly appreciate any
suggestions any of you might have regarding my problem.  I'm attempting to do an
ftp install of 3.4-RELEASE on my AST Ascentia J10 using a 3Com 3C589D.  The
problem is, after using the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp floppies, and enabling the
driver for the card, the card is not being recognized.  I made the two floppies
from http://www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO/  seeing as though the 589D card was on the
support list.  I know the card works because I tested it in a windows machine
that I have and everything went fine.  I know the slot is working seeing as
though I had a 3Com 3C562D/3C563D in it when I was still booting windows.  So
after booting with the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp, I kept the ep0 driver enabled
in the Active Driver menu, and after it's done probing for the various devices,
I hit Alt-F2 and see this:

DEBUG:  ioctl(3, TIOCCONS, NULL) = 0 (success)
DEBUG:  Term = cons25
DEBUG:  Can't open PC-card controller /dev/card0.
DEBUG:  Fount a network device named lp0
DEBUG:  Found a floppy devide for /dev/fd0
DEBUG:  Add mapping for /dev/cuaa0 to sl0
DEBUG:  Add mapping for /dev/cuaa0 to ppp0
DEBUG:  Add mapping for dev/cuaa1 to sl0
DEBUG:  Add mapping for /dev/cuaa1 to ppp0
DEBUG:  Found a disk device named wd0

And from here, when I go through the install process, specify an ftp site, the
choices I get to connect with do not include the ethernet card.  Am I missing
something obvious?  Being new at this, I'm sure I am.  Can anyone point me in
the right direction?

Thanks, Mike