Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:47:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   scsi disk question

I posted about this to -stable this morning, but now it's a hardware question
I think :).

I've got an IBM DCAS 3216W (2G UW drive) as my root disk, sd0.  After a power
failure, /var/news/history.pag contained a non-recoverable bad block -- the
kernel would try four or five times to access it, and then would fail,
resulting in an I/O failure.  This persisted after a reboot.

After I found the file with the bad block, I removed it, and recreated it;
this went well, and, so far, the system has continued to function.

My question is:  will the disk now ignore this bad block?  Normally, I'd
assume it would (it being an intelligent, scsi disk with Read-Write Error
Recovery enabled), but, well, it didn't before :(.

I'm currently planning on getting a new disk today, but I'd prefer not to if
possible, obviously :).

Anyone know for sure?