Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2006 02:39:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GELI on root partition -- problems

--- Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net> wrote:
> Regarding step 2: I can extract the archives of base and kernels, they
> are on the install cd and "base" even has an install.sh script. But i
> guess installing is more than copying files: i should make the slice
> (ad0s3) bootable; so that my BIOS or boot loader like GAG can boot from
> it. How is that done?

As far as I understood it, "installing" is just "un-tar-ing" those
tar-ball-chunk-groups in the right order (the chunks should be
lexicographically ordered)...

I make a slice bootable as follows:
1. "fdisk -a3 ad0" or so...
2. "bsdlabl -B ad0s3" and possibly setting up partitions with "bsdlabel -e
ad0s3" (I made good experience with partition "a" starting not before sector
16... I dont know if it is necessary, but it feels like... Maybe the boot
process needs those first 16 sectors?)
3. "boot0cfg -m 15 -s 3 ad0" or so

Then it should be able to boot from ad0s3...

-Arne