Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2012 08:29:25 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "Wojciech A. Koszek" <wkoszek@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD in Google Code-In 2012?  You can help too!

On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 12:39 +0200, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
> Den 16/10/2012 kl. 12.19 skrev Wojciech A. Koszek <wkoszek@freebsd.org>:
>
> > (cross-posted message; please keep discussion on freebsd-hackers@)
> >
> > Those of you who have Wiki access, please spent 2 more minutes and submit
> > straight to Wiki:
> >
> > 	http://wiki.freebsd.org/GoogleCodeIn/2012Tasks
>

> There are lots of smallish tasks in the code-quality department:
>
> * Analyze and fix Clang Static Analyzer warnings
> * Analyze and fix compiler warnings to increase WARNS level
> * Write regression tests for src/tools/regression
> * Run include-what-you-use to clean up header inclusion
> * Verify bugs with patches
>
> I think they're too open-ended to enter in the wiki as-is, but I'd also like to not spam the wiki with lots of almost-identical tasks. What's the best way to suggest them for CodeIn?

Analyzing and fixing warnings is the last thing I'd assign to a young
inexperienced programmer.  It's far too easy (and tempting) to cast away
warnings or otherwise treat the symptoms when what's really needed is to
dig deeply into code (often including analyzing call chains) to evaluate
the consequences of any changes.

On the last 3 tasks in your list, I agree completely, just the sort of
thing you'd assign to an intern or new junior engineer to get them
started on a large existing project.

-- Ian