Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 14:31:26 -0700
From:      tlb@trevorblackwell.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   linking commercial linux library

I have a commercial library (without source) compiled for Linux that I
want to use in a FreeBSD application. It refers to symbols with a
version node of GLIBC_2.0:

  Linux/libisense.so: undefined reference to `strcpy@GLIBC_2.0'

I could link my entire application against glibc and the Linux
libraries, but because I make subtle use of some regular BSD
libraries, I don't want to do this. It should be able to use the BSD
versions of everything it needs.

I tried various linking with:

  --defsym 'strcpy@GLIBC_2.0=strcpy'

to make it use the regular libc functions, but ld gives a syntax error
on the @. I've been able to make an assembler file that defines the
function, but I can't seem to refer to the original libc functions
from it.

Any suggestions? I would consider using glibc versions of just the
offending functions if I could avoid it getting used anywhere else.

--
Trevor Blackwell       tlb@trevorblackwell.com        (650) 776-7870