Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:54:30 -0800
From:      Mike Thompson <miket@dnai.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wpeters@xylan.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP and mgetty vs. MicroSloth

At 02:53 PM 12/17/98 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
>I have a user attempting to dial in via ISDN from an NoTworkstation 4.0
>machine.  We've switched her connection from analog modems to ISDN,
>using two 3Com Impact IQ TAs.

Wes,

Try adding the "-D 9" setting to the mgetty entry in your /etc/ttys
file and then signal init "kill -1 1" and restart mgetty.  This
should create a debug file in the /tmp directory where you can
do a "tail -f" command to follow the communication sequence between
the serial port and the 3Com Impact.  You will probably see something
pretty obvious in the AT commands that are exchanged between mgetty
and the 3Com Impact.

If I had to guess, I would bet the 3Com Impact may not be returning
a "RING" string that mgetty uses to trigger the "ATA" command for the
Impact to pick up the line.  Or, the Impact is not returning a  proper
"CONNECT" once the line is answered for mgetty to continue the login
sequence.  The debug log should make the problem obvious.

Mike