Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2022 18:41:30 -0500
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getaddrinfo error for existing host without requested address family

On 27 Sep 2022, at 17:41, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 03:53:12PM -0500, Mike Karels wrote:
>
>> The first error message is misleading, because the name *does* resolve=
,
>> but has no AAAA record, and it is the same error message as for a name=

>> that truly does not exist.
>
> FWIW, the distinction between NODATA and NXDOMAIN is these days not
> infrequently violated at the authoritative nameserver:
>
>   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-valsorda-dnsop-black-lies=
-00

> So whether or not a name actually exists or just fails to have the
> requested record type is at times not easily determined. :-(

All getaddrinfo() can do is translate what the resolver receives:
- If there is an NXDOMAIN error, we should report that the name does not
resolve;
- If there is no error but no record of the requested type in the answer,=

we should report that there is no address of the requested type.

If the server always uses NXDOMAIN, we=E2=80=99ll report as indicated for=
 that
domain.  In my test case, I control the server :).

		Mike