Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 2020 11:45:47 +0200
From:      Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gvfs delay on login?

Hi,

## Jonathan Chen (jonc@chen.org.nz):

> I recently updated my ports, and with the update of gvfs-1.46_1, I'm
> noticing a 20s delay when I log in with mate-session. The closest
> indication as to what may be the problem is in one of my logs:
>
> ** Message: 15:35:14.744: Initializing gksu extension...
> Error creating proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for
> org.gtk.vfs.GoaVolumeMonitor: Timeout was reached (g-io-error-quark,
> 24)

Yes, that's the problem. The most basic workaround is to build
gvfs without option GOA ("Gnome Online Accounts"), that's what
I did (I don't use mate and don't have that specific login problem,
but a lot of other stuff shows related troube, timouts, failures, ...).

The real fix would be to figure out how to get the required dbus
services running - gvfs source provides some systemd units, which
are not that helpful for us (obvious reasons, yeah).
On the other hand, I'm not that interested in the whole online-accounts
integration; I'm an old-timer and prefer to not to depend too hard
on other people's systems for my personal stuff (ObPicture: old man
yells at cloud).

Depending on the feasibility of making those dbus services work,
perhaps the default setting for the GOA option should be unset?
But then I don't consider myself a typical enough user to have
much say on that.

Regards,
Christoph

--