Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:42:05 -0700
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <rileyjmc@pacbell.net>
To:        <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>, "Scott Mitchell" <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <sendmail-questions@sendmail.org>
Subject:   RE: After editing freebsd.mc, how do I use this m4 processor?

> These would have been installed at the last time I recompiled the
> kernel. I'm fairly comfortable in editing these files as required, but I
> am pretty certain that after editing freebsd.mc (so as to define
> masquerading, default gateway, etc), I am supposed to use m4 to generate
> a new freebsd.cf, which in turn is copied to sendmail.cf, thus producing
> a new configuration file for sendmail to read upon restart.
>
> This is what I know of sendmail (back in v8.8x & 8.9x) under AIX and
> Sequent Dynix/ptx. Has this procedure since been deprecated for FreeBSD,
> that I am now aware of?
>
> Thanks again for the reply.
>
> Stacey

Not deprecated, but streamlined.  If I understand you correctly, in
/etc/mail, copy freebsd.mc to your.machine.name.mc, then do your editing on
it.

make will run your.machine.name.mc through m4 to produce
your.machine.name.cf.

make install will cp the above to sendmail.cf.  make restart will read the
new .cf files.

Much easier than the old method.

hth,

Riley