Date:      Mon, 07 Nov 2016 09:17:10 +0100
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot1.efifat's FAT12 volume label prevents booting (some systems)

 Bez=C3=BCglich Harry Schmalzbauer's Nachricht vom 07.11.2016 09:04 (loca=
ltime):
> Bez=C3=BCglich Patrick M. Hausen's Nachricht vom 07.11.2016 08:10 (loca=
ltime):
>> Hi, all,
>>
>>> Am 06.11.2016 um 18:14 schrieb Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org>:
>>>
>>> Please do, so it is not forgotten.  It is relatively easy to change t=
he
>>> volume label, by editing sys/boot/efi/boot1/generate-fat.sh, and then=

>>> regenerating the FAT templates.
>> Why use the pre-generated image at all when you can easily
> It's what bsdinstall seems to do, which left the system unbootable, not=

> what I do.
>

>> create the EFI boot volume like this?
>>
>> gpart add -t efi -l efi -a 512k -s 512k <device>

And you possibly run into other firmware problems by again using EFI as
label.
I don't know the standards, but it's obvious that at least one
unexpected label/path interference causes problems, so it's better not
to provoke another one which possibly affects only very few
implementations, but causes needless trouble.
Better use something like 'gpart add -t efi -l A-uefiLOADER  -a 512k -s
512k <device>' (resulting in /dev/gpt/A-uefiLOADER to be used insteaad
of /dev/gpt/efi for the following commands)

I personally prefer the "A-" prefix is to describe that it's the 1st
mirror component=E2=80=A6 Change it to whatever you like.

>> newfs_msdos /dev/gpt/efi
>> mount_msdosfs /dev/gpt/efi /mnt
>> mkdir -p /mnt/efi/boot
>> cp /boot/boot1.efi /mnt/efi/boot/bootx64.efi

-Harry