Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 20:13:30 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        jhs@jhs.muc.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, bod@FreeBSDFoundation.org
Subject:   Re: Re. The Foundation [was Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral]

From: "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 15:53:40 +0200

> As I recall FreeBSD Inc (ie jkh & dg, a team of 2) once held the
> trademark, then it moved to Walnut, then BSDi, then Wind River.

Just to clarify this point - FreeBSD, Inc. has never held the FreeBSD
trademark.  It was initially filed for by Bob Bruce of Walnut Creek
CDROM.  This was initially alarming to some, but once it became clear
that trademarks must be defended (that's non-optional) and trademark
defense requires expensive lawyers, it was deemed a better solution to
simply leave it with a company that actually had any money to spend.

To say that the subsequent events with BSDi and WindRiver were
unforseen would be an understatement, and now we've got to figure out
the best way of dealing with a potentially sticky situation.  I say
"potentially" because I think it's still within our grasp to resolve
the matter without undue fuss, but if anyone on either side is
determined to make it sticky then things will be.

- Jordan