Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:02:31 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mother.sneaker.net.au>
To:        stephen@farrell.org (stephen farrell)
Cc:        mike@chaski.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smtp restarting after changes to sendmail.*

+-----[ stephen farrell ]------------------------------

| michael dorin <mike@chaski.com> writes:
|
| > How do I restart smtp without rebooting after I change the sendmail
| > files?
|
| In my opinion this is a benefit of sysV way of doing things over
| BSD--under solaris, e.g., you do /etc/init.d/sendmail stop;
| /etc/init.d/sendmail start and you don't have to worry about flags and
| so on.
|
| Unless I'm sadly mistaken and need to take myself out and shoot
| myself, under freebsd you need to (a) ps -auxx and find the sendmail
| process and kill it (or use killall, which I never think of b/c I use
| solaris so much, and killall in solaris does something totally
| immoral) (b) check the flags for sendmail in /etc/rc.conf, and then
| (c) run sendmail (which is in /usr/sbin) with those flags.  (of course
| you quickly learn /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q1h).

If you start it with a full path, I'm sure you can sighup it and it'll
restart with all flags intact.

so if you start it as /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd ....
rather than just sendmail -bd ....

--
  ,-_|\  SneakerNet       |     Andrew Milton    |    GSM: +61(41)6 022 411
 /     \ P.O. Box 154     |  akm@sneaker.net.au  |    Fax: +61(2) 9746 8233