Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 12:43:31 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS, the time has come...

As Mike Smith wrote:

> I was just discussing this with Eivind; I think that we can comfortably
> cover every set of requirements with:
>
>  - a kernel-wide default owner/group/permissions for new nodes, which
>    can be overridden by the device driver in response to eg.
>    configuration arguments or device-specific concerns.

I think (and I know i'm not alone with this) that the kernel should
have no further knowledge of UIDs and GIDs except UID/GID 0:0.
Everything else violates the POLA in case someone edits her
/etc/master.passwd and /etc/group (and I hope you don't suggest that
the kernel might read those files ;-)

[This is slightly on the side of the present discussion, but can serve
as relevant background for those thinking of persistence.  I'm
unlikely to approve any follow-ups on this message. -EE]

--
cheers, J"org