Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:07:21 -0800
From:      John Kelly <jmk@unx.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New install of 2.2 won't boot

I have been trying to get FreeBSD 2.2 working on an Intel 486/66, (NICE
EISA m/b w/ 16MB RAM, Adaptec 2742 SCSI controller, Seagate ST3550N hard
drive (435 MB), 3Com 3C509 Ethernet card, no mouse, VGA display, std
keyboard). I have trimmed down the drivers list to just those devices,
and have tried swapping out the VGA adapter.

The floppy installation program has not trouble finding the SCSI
controller. 2.2 installs very happily from the floppy, and walks me
through the novice configuration. I tell it to use the whole disk for
FreeBSD and make the partition bootable; I use the Automatic volume
setup, etc. (trying to make it as pure and generic as possible). The
installation program gets the files from freeBSD.org, etc., reboots, and
then:

	>>FreeBSD BOOT @0x10000: 640/15360k of memory
	Usage [[[0:][wd](0,a)]/kernel][-abcCdghrsv]
	Use 1:sd(0,a)kernel to boot sd0 if it is BIOS drive 1
	Use ? for file list or press Enter for defaults

	Boot:
	dosdev= 80, biosdrive= 0, unit= 0, maj= 0
	Can't find kernel

It repeats the last three lines forever, though it pauses if I try
typing in something after the "Boot:" prompt. I have not yet found the
magic word to get past the prompt (assuming there is one).

The only reason I can suspect is that the BIOS does not know, until the
SCSI adapter wakes up, that it has a hard disk attached. Still, the
adapter is fully awake--else there wouldn't be enough FreeBSD around to
complain about not finding its kernel.

Advice, sympathy, and dumb jokes will all be appreciated. Thanks.

--John Kelly
jkelly@uclink.berkeley.edu