Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:32:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      Trond Endrestol <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>
To:        Mike <mikes@freebsdbox.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error messages on console annoying

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Mike wrote:

> hi all.
> I am continually getting messages on my console whenever someone checks their
> email. The error messages are this:
>
> Nov 22 20:15:53 www popper[8162]: @[2Cust85.tnt4.mia1.da.uu.net]: -ERR Too
> few a
> rguments for the auth command.
> Nov 22 23:00:09 www popper[8298]: mike@[2Cust85.tnt4.mia1.da.uu.net]: -ERR
> Unkno
> wn command: "xsender".
>
> and I got this message today which was a first, so if anyone can enlightent me
> to what it means and how to stop getting these messages from popper to broadcast on the console it would greatly be appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> mike
>
> please send a copy of your reply to mike@sprawlnet.com

May I suggest using vtyb as a syslog screen

Insert the line

*.*						/dev/ttyvb

into your /etc/syslog.conf file, execute MAKEDEV vty12 in the /dev
direcory and restart syslogd.

Now all log messages no matter what category or priority will appear
on ALT+F12. Of course the screen is limited to 200 lines using Scroll
Lock in combination with the PageUp, PageDown, and arrow keys.

The limit of 200 lines can be changed by inserting the line

options SC_HISTORY_SIZE=200

in your kernel configuration file. I believe the value should be a
multiple of some other value, I don't remember right now, perhaps
someone else knows more about this.

But as already suggested, comment out the lines ending with
/dev/console in the /etc/syslog.conf file. While you're editing
the /etc/syslog.conf file you might want to comment out the
lines ending with root.