Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 17:30:20 -0500
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        vayu <vayu@sklinks.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linux distro with ports/package type system?

On 5/15/06, vayu <vayu@sklinks.com> wrote:

> On May 15, 2006, at 2:15 AM, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>
> > I have an older 440MX based laptop that I'm fairly sure FreeBSD won't
> > like, I don't want to run windows on this box... so I'm looking for a
> > Linux distro that has a ports like system.
> >
> > I need KDE, X.org, and a 2.6 kernel installed by default... dammit...
> > I don't want to #$%! with Linux, maybe I'll give FreeBSD another try
> > first, anyways, thanks for the suggestions guys.
> >

> I've heard that Gentoo's package management system "Portage" is
> inspired by FreeBSDs ports, but I believe it's a bit of work to
> install and compile a working system.
>
> I've been using Debian based Kubuntu on my laptop, and find the
> package management excellent. The installation and maintenance is
> easy.  It's my choice when I want to install and go.

Thanks, I didn't know Kubuntu / Ubuntu was Debian based. I like Debian
but the distribution always seems to be stuck in last year, It's still
using a 2.4 kernel, XFree86, and KDE 3.3!

Anyways, Kubuntu 6.06 Beta2 appears to meet most of my requirements so
I'll give it a whirl.

--=20
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/