Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 2015 08:08:10 +0000
From:      Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Vladimir Bogrecov <bogrecov@gmail.com>, python@freebsd.org, "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Python on FreeBSD is slower than on Linux

On 12 Nov 2015, at 19:35, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> I'm adding Freebsd-virtualization to this thread as both problems point to=
 some possible issue with FreeBSD as a guest.  (although a bare metal compar=
ison should likely be done as well).
>=20
> -Alfred
>=20
>> On 11/12/15 11:26 AM, Vladimir Bogrecov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>=20
>> I'm developing a little project on Python 3.5. The server's operating
>> system is FreeBSD 10.2. Today I decided to do a little test "just for fun=
"
>> and the result has confused me. I ran the following code
>>=20
>> import random
>> import time
>>=20
>>=20
>> def test_sort(size):
>>     sequence =3D [i for i in range(0, size)]
>>     random.shuffle(sequence)
>>     start =3D time.time()
>>     ordered_sequence =3D sorted(sequence)
>>     print(time.time() - start)
>>=20
>>=20
>> if __name__ =3D=3D '__main__':
>>     test_sort(1000000)
>>=20
>> on FreeBSD 10.2 x64 and on Debian 8 x64. Both computers was the smallest
>> (5$ per month) virtual machines on the Digital Ocean (
>> https://www.digitalocean.com). The average result on the FreeBSD was 1.5
>> sec, on the Debian 1.0 sec. Both machines was created specially for test
>> and had not any customization. Could you help me to understand why python=

>> is so slower on FreeBSD and may be there are some steps I can perform to
>> speed up the python to work not slower than on Debian.
>>=20
>> I have found in Google the similar question:
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-python/2012-June/004306.html s=
>> it has an interest not only for me.
>>=20
>> P.S. I really like FreeBSD and I would be happy to solve this issue. If y=
ou
>> will have an interest to this issue I can provide SSH access for both
>> machines :)
>>=20
>> Thank You!

I have some memory that the gettimeofday is quite expensive on FreeBSD as a r=
esult of substantially more accuracy and I reckon that test script is callin=
g it about 2 million times.

Mark=