Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:23:24 +0300
From:      Greenstein Jacob <green@wisdom.weizmann.ac.il>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with Linux emulation on 3.1-RELEASE

Dear all,

I have encountered the following problem. If I try
to run Netscape 4.08 for Linux on FreeBSD the ELF interpreter
fails with the following diagnostics

/compat/linux/lib/ld-linux.so.1 not found
Abort trap

Needless to say that I have previously verified that
the corresponding file exists and is both readable and
executable (of course, I loaded the corresponding lkm
before trying to do anything :-)).
Besides, the only ELF binaries from /compat/linux tree
which do not fail to start are those linked statically
(like ldconfig and bash). Even ldd from that tree fails
though it is looking for ld-linux.so.2. That behaviour
is not affected by my attempts to configure ld.so (for Linux)
by running ldconfig (as far as I understand, the libraries
under /compat/linux/lib are supposed to be found without
even that).

I have linux_lib.2.6 installed on my system.

Thank you in advance,

Jacob