Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:26:22 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ru@elis.crimea.ua
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: tags...

> I'm interesting in what's the difference between `make world' and
> `make all install', which are used in `release' and `rerelease'
> tags in src/release/Makefile respectively.

Read the makefile. :-)

They're significantly different.  World handles a whole bunch
of possible dependency issues where `all' just runs things
in order.

> What the `make distribute' in src/Makefile does? And so on...

Again, you should really look at the Makefile. :-)

It's like an install, but it puts things into a subdirectory
(distribution).

> Could you tell me please, what are usable tags in src/Makefile
> and in src/release/Makefile and what its for?

For src/Makefile, you should simply look at the top where it says:

# The intended user-driven targets are:
# ...

And src/release/Makefile is nothing you want to run unless
you're making a complete release (and for this, we provide
no tech support - if you want to walk that hairy path, you
need to understand the Makefile *thoroughly* first anyway :-).

					Jordan