Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:39:15 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing root's shell

Philip Hallstrom wrote:
>> so it seems changed root login's shell to /usr/bin/bash which doesn't
>> exist. now I can't login to root at all. Oh yes, sudo isn't
>> installed. How would you grand masters of FreeBSD fix my embarrasing
>> mistake.
>
> Boot into single user mode, then vipw the password file and change it
> back.
Just as a note of warning, if you have any issues with your ports or
libraries, you have a high probability of having issues with bash in the
future as a shell.
For example, I used to set my root shell to bash, before I had an issue
with some missing libraries after an upgrade--which caused a great deal
of grief, in particular when I went into safe mode as it couldn't load
the shell properly. From then on I have used csh as the default shell,
and then switch to bash when needed.
-Garrett