Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:37:22 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Andrew Nelson <andrew__nelson@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems FreeBSD 5.2.1 & Proc::ProcessTable

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 05:10:58PM +1000, Andrew Nelson wrote:

> I've upgraded from FreeBSD 4.8 to 5.2.1 and have
> noticed a number of script don't work...  One perl
> module i've found so far is
>
> Proc::ProcessTable.  The subroutines just return
> no result  (even the examples given at CPAN).
>
> Can anyone help?  Do I need to re-install FreeBSD
> to a lower version?  If so, what version?

I looks like a FreeBSD-specific mechanism that Proc::ProcessTable is
using is to look things up in the /proc/.   So, you can do one of the
following:

1. Mount procfs if your kernel has support for it.
2. Wait until someone fixes Proc::ProcessTable to use more "native" way
   of finding things about processes out on FreeBSD.
3. Do it yourself (see os/freebsd.c in the distribution of
   Proc::ProcessTable).

Downgrading FreeBSD is also an option, though not a very good one, in my
opinion.

Cheers,
\Anton.
--
Floating point will almost always have enough precision for the task at
hand, and by the time it doesn't, it will. :-)  -- Larry Wall