Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 12:42:02 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        MG_Tak <mgtak@crosswinds.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Off topic, sorta: home RJ-45 wiring

>>         I've been using an RJ-45 cable to connect a
>> laptop that's in another room to the HUB in my room.
>> The cable runs right accross the hallway which, on
>> top of being ugly, is not really practical. So I
>> figured I could climb into my attic and run the
>> cable through the attic and into my room, using
>> wall-plugs.
>>
>>         Putting holes in the wall is easy enough, but
>> I'm not sure about what I need, what type of cable,
>> etc.. Does anyone know of a web-page that would
>> offer some sort of guide to home-wiring?
>
>You need "Category 5" or "Cat 5" wiring.  You can buy it at most home
>improvement stores or an electrical supply shop.  They will also
>(probably) sell wall-mount RJ45 jacks.

I haven't seen this sort of thing in home improvement stores, but I'm in
a pretty rural area.  Maybe things are better where you are.  In any
case I can recommend a vendor we've used frequently for this sort of
thing here in the office:

MilesTek, Inc.
1-800-524-7444
www.milestek.com

They have everything you need and are easy to work with.

-Mitch