Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:18:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Obvious fix for tempfile race conditions?

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Warner Losh wrote:

> But it *IS* being done safely on OpenBSD.  I see no reason why it
> can't be so on FreeBSD.

I agree; it's nice that FBSD is tighter than Linux (our Linux webservers
are secure in that access to them is carefully controlled, but I still
feel it's pretty slutty).

> You are right.  I have some changes in my queue to fix that however.

Good!!

> Not really.  There are so many holes in FreeBSD right now, I doubt it
> would slow them down much.  Holes I'm working on closing, BTW.  Here
> "so many" mean "at least one known that gives you root."
>
> It's a nice idea to have the kernel somehow magically solve the
> problems of security, but often times there is no substitute for good
> coding habits.  Paraphrasing Brooks, There are no silver bullets in
> security.

So, is there anything that someone like me can do (I'm more tied up in the
administration, and my programming skills are pretty weak) to look around
and see what's been done on OpenBSD and compile a list of "must fix"
items??  I'd like to help on this front.  Is there anything I can do?

Charles