Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 20:02:27 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        se@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: review request: pkgdir handling improved

On Jan 31, asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami) wrote:

>  * Hmmm, no, I don't like this!
>  :
> <rest deleted>
>
> You didn't read my message (and patch) carefully did you. :>

Yes, sure I did ...

I often get the warning message at the end of an install,
and it was easy enough to ignore. The patch forces me to
set some parameter (in /etc/make.conf), to get rid of the
message for all times, but it used to be good as a warning
to check for files that changed location, and to arrange
for them to be found by the freshly installed port, too.

Maybe I should have sent the message about the partial
deletion of ports for easier upgrades under a different
subject, since I'm afraid nobody will read *my* mail :)

Anyway: I continue to dislike the change, that makes the
install fail, if the package has already been registered.
I don't care, whether the test is moved up to before the
install, it is the being forced to take special action to
perform an install that just worked before, that I don't
like ...

Regards, STefan