Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:46:55 -0800
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: print error, (is this a KDE-printing problem?)

On Sunday 13 January 2002 12:50 pm, Garance A Drosihn banged out on the k=
eys:
> At 8:00 PM -0800 1/12/02, chip wrote:
> >I am trying to print a small .txt file, first from kate, then from kwr=
ite,
> >and get the following on the printout:
> >
> >Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops
> >
> >Is this specific to the kde apps?
> >Any suggestion? Printing from these apps has worked in the past.
>
> Did it just stop working one day, or did it stop working after you had
> upgraded your system, or upgraded some of your ports-collection.
>
> If you are printing a plain text file, then either the translation to
> text is wrong (which I assume is done in KDE), or something is wrong
> in the processing of that file.  What are you using for printing?  Just
> the standard bsd-system lpr?  Or are you using CUPS?  Or maybe lprNG?
> Do you have apsfilter installed?  What kind of printer are you printing
> this to?

Turns out it will print from every app I tried, but not from KDE apps. I=20
printed from opera, star office, abiword, command line, netscape. I don't=
=20
recall off hand if I have printed from KDE apps since the last upgrade. I=
 did=20
a portupgrade of all installed ports a couple weeks ago. I use the defaul=
t=20
lpr and my test prints in the above apps have been .txt, .abw, .sdw, .htm=
l,=20
and .txt. And I do have apsfilter installed. And I am printing to an Epso=
n=20
Stylus Color 400.

So the problem is KDE specific. I'm not too concerned about that with the=
=20
other options I have for printing, and I don't use KDE as my desktop anyw=
ay,=20
I use XFCE and just run a couple KDE apps - KWrite, KMail, KNode, Konquer=
or.

--
Chip=20