Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:41:35 -0500
From:      chip <chip.gwyn@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCPDUMP bandwidth capability

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:59:17 -0800 (PST), asdfasdfasd asdfds
<toddcook41@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For those who use TCPDUMP, how much bandwidth have you
> been able to monitor with it without dropping packets?

> I've seen it said that BSD is much better for this
> type of thing than Linux, but numbers are heard to
> come by.  Right the right NICs and processing power,
> is line-rate 1Gbps possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

Take a look at http://luca.ntop.org/Ring.pdf
It has some real numbers to look at that should guide you in your
quest for monitoring bliss.  You might also want to check the NANOG
mailing list archives (http://nanog.org)  for some further
information.  I think there was a fairly recent discussion of this.

--chip
--
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....