Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:30:33 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP Performance Graphs

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 05:19:18PM -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>
> > * The logging at 90% usage should be investigated.  I can probably
> Luigi, Jonathan and I had already been discussing this idea before this
> this thread even started.  If you come up with a good patch to do this,

I just committed to  current (and soon to stable) some code to log
_failures_ in mbuf allocations, but that is only meant as an aid
to remove worse code in the drivers.

I'd be inclined to say that the XX% monitoring is better done by
userlevel daemons periodically polling the mbuf stats, rather than
doing some extra work every time you allocate or free an mbuf.

(Plus, just setting a threshold is not good, you also want
some histeresys, because you can easily conceive a system that
runs at XX % mbuf occupation, whatever XX you pick.)

	cheers
	luigi